When clients come to us expressing interest in helping them grow their business by getting their brands into larger chain accounts, there is one thing we always need to make sure they have prepared, and that is a product sell sheet, brochure or catalog.
Having presentation materials to provide to a distributor or retail buyers is a key element when pitching your product line especially if it’s your first time.
As a manufacturer, you want to provide them with as much information as possible about your products. You also want to make sure that you look like a BRAND and you have the appropriate materials to show for it.
Your materials must be professional-looking, which means it must be well-designed and ideally printed professionally…and you must be able to leave this behind.
Note: More often than not, they will also require you to provide them with samples that you will leave behind and not be able to get back and a price list, so be prepared for this.
Appropriate presentation materials can increase your chances of a distributor or retail chain buyer considering your product line for the following reasons:
- You’re able to showcase the breadth of your product line. A brochure or catalog allows you the opportunity to show off your brand or brandsand present to them the necessary information they need to know about your line. This is also especially helpful if you can’t take the entire product line with you during the presentation.Aside from a captivating design with enticing photography, some examples of informational copy (text) that you should include: a powerful headline, a unique and compelling story, an inspiring mission statement, persuasive features & benefits. Positioning statements are essential when writing copy for a brand. Not only are they an effective strategy to influence consumers to purchase your products but it will also set you apart and differentiate you from your competition.
- A distributor needs marketing tools when pitching your line to their customers. When you work with a distributor, you need to make sure they have the proper tools and information to be able to sell your product line. The more information they have – sell sheet, brochure, catalog, powerpoint presentation, video – the more effective they can sell your products.
- They’re assured that you’re a solid business. Nice-looking materials, whether it’s a sell sheet or packaging shows them that you’ve invested in your business and you have a solid brand. Working with the big guys is different than selling directly to online customers or even with mom & pop stores. Larger chains have certain requirements that a manufacturer needs to meet. These requirements give them the assurance that you’re ready to work with them.
- It’s more effective (time & money) than a full catalog. Rather than presenting a buyer with a full catalog that may include products that they’re not interested in, a sell sheet or brochure is a more direct sales tool. Besides, printing can be a significant cost, so leaving behind a full catalog may not be the most cost-effective approach.
- It’s a great tool for brand new product introductions. Let’s say that you’ve already built a relationship with a distributor or buyer. You can always present them or send them a separate sell sheet or brochure to showcase a new product introduction.
If you’re just starting out pitching your products to independent stores or you’re moving towards larger chain retailers, always treat your products as a brand and have the proper marketing materials within reach.
Having a good website and marketing materials that reflect the true essence of your brand will provide you with a better opportunity to get product placement at retail.
For samples of our work, check out our portfolio here.
Karla Ilarde is also known as The Product Launch Partner. Through her consulting and mentoring business, Karla guides and supports inventors, entrepreneurs and manufacturing business owners how to become prepared and well-positioned for retail success using proven manufacturing, marketing and sales strategies and solutions. To get your F.R.E.E. Product Launch Success Kit and receive her bi-monthly articles, where you’ll get insights and information on how to launch, market & grow profitable products with confidence and success, sign up on this page right now and get these valuable tools delivered to your inbox instantly!